Monday, August 13, 2007

Calamity

Calamity is defined as: 1. a great misfortune or disaster, as a flood or serious injury.
2. grievous affliction; adversity; misery: the calamity of war.

Geesh, I was thinking more along the lines of the Cowgirl Calamity Jane. Maybe I should have stuck with the first C word that came to my mind .... calm. But for me the idea of choosing a different letter each day is to challenge myself ... to think/write outside of the box.

My son is leaving for Marine Corps boot camp in 13 days -- he has started the countdown. Some parents might see this as a 'calamity' ... I see his decision as courageous; especially as he is following in the footsteps of his Dad ... eerily starting training 27 years to the date.

Calamity ... Iraq. Calamity ... the miners in Utah. Calamity ... the lack of discipline in our schools. The list could go on.

In each of our lives we have expeienced a degree of calamity whether it be through the death of a loved one, a relationship or a disease processs. It is how we deal with calamity that defines us, that shapes & molds us. It is calamity in my life that, for me, has assisted me in truly knowing the other words that begin with a C and are truly part of me ..... creativity, contentment, & 'calm'.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

OoooRah!!! I will keep you son in prayers. And if he needs mail, let me know. Also when he comes our way, I would be more then happy to feed him homemade meals and resue him off base if need be.

I will feel like you, if my kids choose to follow their Dad's footsteps. I have told people who ask me that its a noble profession. To sacrifice their rights and well-being to fight and uphold our freedoms. I could right forever, but I am better off just saying, I will keep your son in my prayers.

Nancy said...

Suzy....will be saying prayers for you son, I sure he will he will be fine. Like the word you chose for the day.

Jayne said...

Best wishes to your son on his new journey....I'm so grateful to him for what he's doing for the US.
{hugs}